Tuesday 9 August 2011

Honey

I'm just posting this up here in case there is anyone out there who used to read Honey's blog. If you did, and you find this, please pass this information on to anyone else who might want to know. I am afraid that Honey is very, very ill. I went to see her in the hospice yesterday. She was really very poorly. She doesn't want to die. This has come so much too soon for her and for everyone who loves her. She has fought so bravely over the last couple of years. I've never seen anything like it and I don't expect to see such courage ever again. I saw her just two weeks ago and she walked two miles then. The room in the hospice has a balcony which looks out over fields. There is also a bird table there and she was able to enjoy a robin which came and a fat pigeon. I am going to see her again tomorrow, I hope. It would be so good if she could have some peace at the end but I'm not sure she will. The pain is just so much. Selfishly, I had hoped that she would live to see our new baby but I don't think she will now. I wish so much that she hadn't had to give up her blog because she really needed that to keep in touch. Of course, the worst thing is that she had three young children. I can't even bear to think what this is doing to them. I keep thinking of Dylan Thomas. 'Do not go gentle into that long good night but rage, rage, against the dying of the light.'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Alice - how very, very sad. I did used to read Honey's blog and have often wondered how things were turning out for her. Her words were often inspirational and I missed being in touch once she stopped blogging. She will be very much in the thoughts of all who know her. And her children will be in all our thoughts as time moves on.
Lucy

Daphne said...

I used to love Honey's blog and thank you so much for your comment on mine. I know someone who knows her in "real life" though I have never met her. Her bravery has always astonished me and when I am feeling a bit down I think of her and kick myself! I was so sorry she had to stop blogging. I am thinking of her - and I'd lost the link to your blog too and am so pleased to have found it again.

Tash said...

Oh my goodness, I found her through you. I thought her comments here were just so lovely and supportive. I'm so sorry to hear this. She's in my thoughts, and I'm wishing her strength and dignity. I'm also thinking of her children, and you, too, Alice. Losing a friend is rough.

Peace to you all.

Julie said...

Thanks Alice for letting us read about Honeys health. I have often thought about her and her young family and Mr Man. Honey always seemed so upbeat about things, even when she was honestly telling us about the pain and the illness of her treatment. I wish her peace also at the end.

Bufite said...

I knew Honey many years ago and am really sad about this. Is there any more news?